Set your practice up for success with our eBook. Discover how to improve patient experience and boost revenue.Download eBook
Medicare Web Services and Dental4Windows
The Australian government is currently deploying Medicare Web Services for digital claiming. Medicare Web Services will completely supersede the current adaptor technology by 13 March 2022. All health practitioners must use web services compatible software to access government digital health services from this date.
Services Australia implements Medicare Web Services to allow healthcare practitioners to share data and make digital claims via a more secure and stable channel.
This change affects dental practitioners who use Medicare Online integrated within their practice management software to submit claims to Medicare and the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA).
Dental4Windows has a close integration with Medicare Online for DVA transactions. For years, most of our users have been enjoying the seamless claiming process that manages DVA claims end-to-end, all within Dental4Windows. Since the government announcement, our Centaur team has been working tirelessly to ensure that our systems are compatible with the Medicare Web Services platform so our users can continue to enjoy the same experience even after the adaptor technology ceases to exist on 13 March 2022. We are currently going through the rigorous Medicare Online certification process.
What is changing?
The current security process of PKI certificates will be replaced with Provider Digital Access (PRODA), an online identity verification and authentication system. It lets you securely access online government services.
I do not use integrated DVA claiming within D4W. How will this affect me?
If you are currently not using our integrated DVA claims, this change will not affect you. It is important to note that if you decide to use integrated DVA claims in the future, you will need Medicare Web Services.
I would like to start using integrated DVA claiming within D4W. What should I do?
If you are currently not using our integrated DVA claims, we recommend that you await further instructions from us on Medicare Web Services. This will ensure that you do not have to go through the setup process for the soon-to-be defunct PKI certificates.
Will this affect my Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS) claims that I currently do on my Hicaps/Tyro terminal?
No, this change will not impact the Medicare claims you currently do via your Hicaps/Tyro terminals.
Will this change the way I process DVA claims within D4W?
No. Once the initial setup is completed. Your claiming experience will remain the same.
I use DVA online claiming in D4W. What do I need to do?
If you do not already have a PRODA account, you must create one and register your practice as an organisation in PRODA. Once registered, you will receive a Registration Authority (RA) number, which we will use in D4W to communicate on behalf of your practice. If you already have an organisation in PRODA, ensure that you have access to the RA number.
Please click the button below to complete our registration form.
Once the D4W integration is live we will contact you and provide you with specific instructions on what to do in PRODA so we can securely register your D4W system with Services Australia.
I do not wish to upgrade. What are my options?
Your integrated DVA claims will continue to work until 12 March 2022. After this date, you will need to either upgrade or go back to manual claim processing.
What is PRODA and what is web services?
PRODA is an online individual identity or organisation verification and authentication system. It enables secure access to government online services using a username, password and an access code delivered to your personal device. It replaces our legacy Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) authentication technology.
Web services is a modern technology that enables communication and sharing of data between 2 web enabled devices on a network. It replaces our legacy adaptor technology used for our digital health and ages care channels.
We use PRODA and web services for our digital health and aged care channel
Why are we moving to PRODA and web services?
Through our customer relationships and services we collect and handle the medical, personal or financial information of the Australian public.
As we continue to become more interconnected, we are serious in assuring that our systems and programs move dynamically to meet the increased risk to privacy breach, identity fraud or cyber threats.
This change represents our commitment to maintaining the trust and confidence of the Australian public when collecting and handling their personal information.
What are the benefits of PRODA?
- It enables secure access to multiple government online services from one account.
- It allows an individual to verify their identity online and provides a higher level of security than the traditional 100 points check of identity documents.
- It is fully digital and portable across web enabled devices and doesn’t need additional hardware or software to be installed.
- Your individual PRODA account doesn’t expire and belongs to you.
- If you change your employer you keep your PRODA account and can continue to use it to access eligible services.
- It allows organisation registration for secure access to government online services on behalf of an organisation.
- You can add personnel as members of the organisation in PRODA and delegate them authority to access services or perform functions on behalf of the organisation.
- If your organisation uses a software product to access services, PRODA provides the ability to securely access services using your software product.
- We have a dedicated helpdesk for any PRODA related support matters
- The technology is more modern, flexible, easier to update and maintain than the current adaptor technology.
- It can be readily used across multiple operating systems, such as Windows and Mac OS.
- It enables our digital health and aged care channels to operate on a common platform.
- It allows for future compatibility enhancements or integration with other digital health and aged care channels.
It enables software developers to more easily develop and maintain their software products that can better support customers using their software.
Want to keep up-to-date with more Medicare Web Services and Dental4Windows updates as they become available? Join our Official Facebook Group today.
Dental practice management software is the technological glue that holds...